[EM] proportional constraints - help needed

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:22:45 PST 2013

Jameson,

I am not sure if we understand each other here.
I am looking for an election system, where the quoted-in seat gives
(or moves toward) a proportional distribution of the quoted-in gender.
If we fix the seats which will be quoted-in at no. 2 and 5, the
quoted-in gender will in some cases not be proportionally distributed,
for instance when the same group of voters get both quoted-in
candidates at places 2 and 5.
I think the problem is not restricted to STV, so other election
methods might be used and extended to resolve it, like Schulze STV.
The problem is not to quote in the underrepresented gender at place 2,
the problem is to proportionally quote-in the second seat at seat 3, 4
or 5, in order to get a proportional distribution of the quoted-in
gender.

A special case is when two women are elected to seats 1 and 2, and
three men are elected to seats 3, 4 and 5.
Here, the constraints are also breached, but with diferent gender for
seats 1 and 2 and for seats 3, 4 and 5.

Again, it would be unfair, if, with three coalitions, the same
coalition would get both quoted-in candidates.
Now, the solution for this problem would be to look for
proportionality of quoted-in candidates.
I am not sure, that we are looking for proportionality within each
gender, but rather proportionality of quoted-in candidates.

PZ