[EM] Wikipedia article needs editing

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Aug 28 16:22:08 PDT 2013

At 05:12 PM 8/28/2013, Richard Fobes wrote:
>The Wikipedia article titled "Electoral reform in the United States"
>contains a heading "Electoral Reform Proposals" and then under that
>heading is a section titled "Instant-runoff voting".  Obviously this
>needs to be broadened to "Election-method reform" with IRV being
>just one kind of election-method reform.
>
>Does anyone have time to do this edit?  (I don't.)

If one doesn't know Wikipedia policy, it can be an exercise in
massive waste of time, or it might be useful for a time, and it's
quite unreliable.

Basically, that there is what we might consider important
information, even information that, among the informed, is obvious
and generally accepted, is not enough for Wikipedia, by policy.
Indeed, making up an article out of your own knowledge or conclusions
is called "Original Research," quicklink WP:OR, and is prohibited.
Everything should come from Reliable Sources, but don't copy, except
for short excerpts, explicitly quoted, and attributed.

"Reliable Source" does not have the ordinary meaning, it is a
Wikipedia term of art. It means something independently published,
and not self-pubished by an author or advocacy organization or even
certain kinds of special-interest groups. Gaming the Vote,
Poundstone, is RS. A page on the rangevoting.org web site is not.
Never cite anything to a mailing list!!!

And, then, if someone reverts you, don't revert war, it can get you
blocked quickly. Don't use the Talk page to discuss the subject, but
only for evaluating suggested edits. Yeah, counter-intuitive, all right!

The cited article is atrocious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_reform_in_the_United_States#Cost_of_problems_with_the_current_system

is one section.

It's "recentism." Wikipedia is an encyclopedia and is to be written,
by policy, from an "encyclopedic point of view." Everything in the
article is about recent situations or proposals or organizations.

There is less reliable source on this than on past reform movements.

The article appears to be written from a reformer point of view, very
possibly someone affiliated with FairVote.

The history of the article shows extensive editing by
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DavidMCEddy. This user is not
exactly a single-purpose account (WP:SPA), but close, he's a
reformer, writing about election reform. He uses what appear to be
self-published sources, including FairVote. First step would be to
take the article down to what is reliably sourced. Much of the
article looks like Original Research.

A chart showing the advocacy positions of organizations is close to
OR. Is that a reliable compilation? What were the standards for inclusion?

By the way, the first editor who edited the Talk page, and who worked
on the article, was Captain Zyrain. CZ was, at that time or
thereabouts, a FairVote activist, and was, he later told me, sent by
FairVote to "take me out." Unfortunately, he engaged in a
conversation and said, essentially, "OMG, I've been on the wrong
side." He was subsequently, under a different name, banned.

The article had a POV tag on it for years. That was removed by
DavidMCEddy unilaterally. That's not a violation of policy, but he
removed it first and asked questions later.... In his discussion of
the article, he appears to have had the intention of removing the
appearance that the article was a "sales pitch for Instant Runoff
Voting." Indeed. But he's not a sophisticated editor.

McEddy makes piles of small edits, also a sign of an inexperienced
editor. Yes, one should not make one huge edit, that is also rude.
But section rewrites should be done with a single edit, proofread
before saving....

The POV tag was added by Devourer09.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Electoral_reform_in_the_United_States&diff=455307060&oldid=455302714
This editor had five edits this year, so far, probably is not
checking his/her watchlist.

Recent edits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Electoral_reform_in_the_United_States&diff=570492529&oldid=570491180
though it appears to be a sound edit, elimination possibly POV
language, was reverted by a power user, an administrator, "to revert
block evasion." That's standard practice if an editor is identified
as evading a block, to revert their contributions without considering
them. Anyone could revert that back. If they dare. I don't know that
any serious POV pusher is watching this article.

That reversion is odd. The IP was not blocked, there is no block log for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents&oldid=570593657#Harassing_an_administrator.3F

Arthur Rubin reverted this IP on a page not related to any of the
reverts of his edits.

Fascinating. Rubin maintains a page listing all the incarnations of
this IP editor, in his judgment. He's violating common advice to
ignore trolls. But this is what I've seen. Blocking an editor becomes
a matter of personal power, it's a contest of wills. And, generally,
the IP editor can continue as long as he or she wants. There is no
reliable way to block every edit, with all the options an editor has.
If an administrator gets an editor sufficiently pissed, this can go
on for years, at enormous cost in administrator time, and with
collateral damage. Range blocks can block an enormous number of users
who have nothing to do with the problem.

But this current editor hasn't been blocked yet, as far as I could
see (but the pattern does indicate this is the same editor with IP
previously blocked, I'd agree). I argued that an administrator should
never block an editor, except short-term in an emergency, and then
asking for independent attention, for attacking the administrator. I
haven't researched this case, I used to go into these in detail. You
can bet it wasn't popular.... The active core in Wikipedia did not
want *any* restriction on the power of administrators to do whatever
they please, so conflict of interest administration was, and probably
is, common. It's pretty normal, but the neutrality of the project
required more than that, and failure to understand this is a piece of
why Wikipedia is unreliable.

Even if Rubin was totally justified initially, he's created a user at
war with him. Did he ever attempt to resolve this? I don't know. I
worked with Rubin at one point, not a bad sort at all, by comparison
with certain others. But this kind of thing happens routinely,
Wikipedia burns out administrators, and they don't undertand why.

I need to stay away from Wikipedia. I see too much.