[EM] 3 or more choices - Condorcet

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 21:55:33 PDT 2012

On 2.10.2012, at 4.37, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> A) What is it that is gained by using traditional (unimproved)
> Condorcet instead of Symmetrical Improved Condorcet?
>
> The downsides of unimproved are:
>
> .....1. FBC failure (though unimproved-Condorcet advocates speculate
> that people won't mind)

The traditional interpretation of ranked votes may well support FBC "well enough" in the classical Condorcet methods.

> .....2. Interpretation of equal-top and equal-bottom ranking is
> contrary to the voter's preferences, intent and wishes.

I guess by default the meaning of equal-top and equal-bottom ranking is to rank the candidates equal. The voter may have interest to cast a stronger vote where the equal-top and equal-bottom rankings have some additional strength, but that's another story, and not the default interpretation of ranked votes.

> Those are two drawbacks. If you advocate unimproved Condorcet, then it
> must offer some advantages--important enough advantages to outweigh
> the two disadvantages listed above.

Simplicity. Lack of interest to truncate one's vote (and lose preference information) at the top and at the bottom.

Juho