[EM] 3 or more choices - Condorcet

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:37:50 PDT 2012

To advocates of traditional (unimproved) Condorcet versions, such as
Beatpath, Ranked-Pairs, River, Kemeny, VoteFair, etc:

I'm just asking a few questions about the methods that you advocate.
Method advocates are usually willing to answer questions about their
method proposals.

In this posting, I'm not, saying that the properties that I prefer are
more important--though I've already told why I consider them to e
important. Instead, I'm merely asking what other properties are gained
in return, when the certain properties are lost. Only when people are
specific about what is gained, what the properties-tradeoff is, can
methods be meaningfully compared.

As for what's more important, that's something that you (or anyone
else) can judge, after you indicate specifically what properties are
gained by the below-listed methods, when they fail to have the
properties that I specify. When those gained properties are clearly
specified, then comparison can be made between the properties lost and
gained.

A) What is it that is gained by using traditional (unimproved)
Condorcet instead of Symmetrical Improved Condorcet?

The downsides of unimproved are:

.....1. FBC failure (though unimproved-Condorcet advocates speculate
that people won't mind)

.....2. Interpretation of equal-top and equal-bottom ranking is
contrary to the voter's preferences, intent and wishes.

Those are two drawbacks. If you advocate unimproved Condorcet, then it
must offer some advantages--important enough advantages to outweigh
the two disadvantages listed above.

B) What is it that is gained by completing Condorcet by Ranked-Pairs,
Beatpath, River, Kemeny or VoteFair, instead of just a top-count?

The downsides are:

.....1. The chicken dilemma

Most would surely agree that that is a drawback. When it can be easily
avoided by a completion by top-count, but the chicken dilemma is kept
anyway, then presumably there is something important and valuable
gained, to justify keeping the chicken dilemma. What would that be?

.....2. No obvious "normative" ("of, establishing, or proposing a
standard for a group") justification for those completions. That is, a
reason why the completion is a standard in and of itself, as opposed
to justifying it by other standards (such as strategy incentive, etc.)

Recent postings have discussed the lack of such justification for the
"strong" Condorcet completions.

By "a completion", I just mean a rule for what to do when Condorcet's
Criterion doesn't say whom to elect.

To accept these two drawbacks, something of worth must be gained by
the "strong" Condorcet completion methods. What would that be?

For simplicity, this posting's questions are only about the comparison
between how unimproved Condorcet does things, vs how Symmetrical ICT
does things, and the gains and losses when choosing one instead of the
other, as regards completion and the interpretation of equal top and
equal bottom ranking.

Previously, I asked Jameson similar questions about MJ's justification.

Questions like this could also be asked about the gains and losses of
properties, when choosing between unimproved Condorcet vs Approval and
Score, but I'm not doing so in this posting.

Mike Ossipoff