[EM] Declaration's policy on single-mark ballots (was Re: Do any of you have any thoughts about California's top-two primary?)

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Jun 10 10:22:28 PDT 2012

It's a bad idea for the Declaration to
denounce all single-mark ballot methods,
because one of them--Vote for a Published
Ranking (VPR)--has desirable properties that
distinguish it from the others. (One can also
make an argument that VPR is better than many
voting methods that require more complicated
ballots.)

      VPR:
      Two weeks before election day, each
candidate publishes a top-to-bottom ordering
      of all the candidates. (Any candidate
who fails to meet the deadline will be treated
      as if s/he'd ranked him/herself on top
and all others tied for bottom.)

      On election day, each voter simply
selects one candidate.

      Then each vote is treated as if it were
the ordering published by its selected
      candidate.  These orderings are tallied
by a good preference order algorithm
      to determine the winner.

Some interesting variations:
1. Give each candidate the opportunity to
withdraw after the vote totals are published;
withdrawn candidates will be dropped to the
bottom of each ordering before the orderings
are tallied.  With this option, tallying
algorithms such as plurality rule & instant
runoff would become nearly as good as
condorcet algorithms because withdrawal would
mitigate their vote-splitting problem. (Borda
would still be terrible due to its clones
problem.)  Also, withdrawal would be useful
in presidential elections--with VPR and other
voting methods--to help candidates avoid
fragmenting the Electoral College.
2. Technology permitting, allow each voter to
select an ordering published by a candidate
or by a non-government organization (NGO).
Some example NGOs: the New York Times, the
Sierra Club, the National Rifle Association...
3. Technology permitting, let each voter
modify the ordering published by her selected
candidate, before submitting it as her vote.

Obviously, being a "single-mark" method, VPR
maximizes simplicity.  Yet it can be expected
to handle the vote-splitting problem well.
It ought to typically allow each voter to
vote for her sincere favorite, assuming her
favorite publishes an ordering the voter
considers reasonable. (Or strategically
reasonable.  If an election has a strategy
problem, the voter's favorite can handle it
by publishing a strategic ordering, or by
withdrawing if necessary, if withdrawal is an
option.)

Also, VPR would make it easier for good
candidates to win without spending a lot of
money, since they can win by persuading other
candidates to rank them over worse
candidates.  For example, Centrist might
persuade Left to rank Centrist over Right,
and Right to rank Centrist over Left.
Furthermore, an honest centrist might
persuade Left & Right to rank her over
corrupt centrists, and when she can't due to
Left & Right also being corrupt, the corrupt
orderings they publish would presumably
attract negative attention during the two
weeks preceding the election, reducing their
votes.

Regards,
Steve Eppley
---------------
On 6/8/2012 2:20 PM, Richard Fobes wrote:
> Although this is a bit of a simplification,
> the "top-two" runoff form of voting in the
> U.S. consists of using single-mark ballots
> combined with a variation of instant-runoff
> voting.
-snip-
> The way this fits into the "Declaration of
> Election-Method Reform Advocates" is that
> the Declaration denounces single-mark
> ballots, regardless of how they are counted.
-snip-
> I think the easiest way to explain the
> concept is in the context of vote splitting,
Richard Fobes
> > On 6/7/2012 8:31 AM, Adrian Tawfik wrote:
-snip-