[EM] Do any of you have any thoughts about California's top-two primary?

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Fri Jun 8 11:20:30 PDT 2012

Although this is a bit of a simplification, the "top-two" runoff form of
voting in the U.S. consists of using single-mark ballots combined with a
variation of instant-runoff voting.

If the voters are somewhat balanced between Republicans and Democrats,
and if the two main parties cannot convince all the "less-popular"
candidates from their party not to run, a likely outcome is that both of
the "top-two" winners would be from the same political party, which is
obviously very unfair.

Oregon (where I live) had such a referendum on the ballot, and it was
defeated.  (I played a very small role in that defeat.)

The way this fits into the "Declaration of Election-Method Reform
Advocates" is that the Declaration denounces single-mark ballots,
regardless of how they are counted.  And the Declaration clarifies that
instant-runoff voting (IRV) is neither supported nor opposed by the
signers because there are differences of opinion as to whether IRV is a
good choice.  And the "top-two" approach is -- in my opinion -- even
worse than IRV.

I think the easiest way to explain the concept is in the context of vote
splitting, although others here may prefer to explain it in the context
of the more-mathematical "independence of irrelevant alternatives."

For a recent concrete example of the concept, I suggest referring to the
recent Egyptian Presidential election.  (I added this election to the
list of vote-splitting examples in the Wikipedia "Vote splitting"
article.)  I don't know the situation well enough to know who might have
won if a better voting method had been used.  I did see news that both
of the top-two runoff choices are widely disliked and unrepresentative.

Does anyone here have more election-method knowledge about the recent
Egyptian Presidential election beyond what's in Wikipedia, especially
which candidates were similar?

I was hoping that someone else might write an article about any of these
related -- and important -- topics.

As for me, I'm waiting to see if there is any significant reaction to my
"Tax The Takers More Than Makers" article at the Democracy Chronicles.
(Clarification: I informed Adrian about having posted that tax-reform
proposal in two other not-much-visited places, and he asked permission
to publish it.)  I'm also now working on the yet-another project that
I'll reveal later when I've got a working website to point to.

I don't know if it's possible to collaboratively write the kind of
article that Adrian wants, but at least we can try explaining the
basics, as I've tried to do at the beginning of this message, and the
result might be something that Adrian could edit to become an article
that would explain these important concepts to a larger audience.

Richard Fobes