[EM] Sainte-Lague vs d'Hondt for party list PR

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:30:24 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Juho Laatu <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I think you are making the question quite complex and quite detailed.

Speaking detailedly and specifically is necessary. You're saying that
you want to ignore details. That won't do.

You said:

 I also don't know if this is a reply to something specific that I
said or just general observations on what kind of systems I might
like.

[endquote]

It's both. It's based on what you said about what your goal is.

You said:

> One basic approach that I find quite decent is the idea that if one wants to have accurate proportional representation, then n% of the votes should lead to approximately n% of the seats.

[endquote]

I showed in my previous post that, if you want n% of the votes to get
n% of the seats, that an only be achieved by making the parties' s/q
equal.

You said:

That in a way says something about the roots of the idea of
proportional representation.

[endquote]

Yes.

You asked:

Is this a helpful definition of my rough approach or should I say
something more?

[endquote]

Yes, that's a sufficient definition of your approach. No, you've fully
specified it and no more description is needed.

And your goal is another way of saying that you want the s/q to be
equal. That's what SL does. It puts each party's s/q as close as
possible to the ideal equal value of s/q.

Below is where Juho quoted one of my arguments.

Mike Ossipoff