[EM] Gaming the Vote

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Jan 30 21:31:47 PST 2012

On 1/30/12 7:48 PM, Ted Stern wrote:
> I've been thinking that one way to spread information about
> alternative voting systems might be to gamify one or more systems.
>
> Wikipedia explains gamification better than I could:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification

wow, that says something because i would vote to delete that Wikipedia
article.  it's cheerleading or sales pitching.  i can't learn a thing
from it or from the "Funware" article.

> Basically, it's a form of crowd-sourcing where you give game-like
> points and rewards to get masses of people to engage in large social
> interactions.
>
> On Facebook, for example, one could set up a ranking site to enable
> users to do their own version of Oscar voting, political favorites,
> etc, and award prizes for things we might be interested in (like
> criteria satisfaction).  A site like FB would also have the advantage
> of ID-checking to limit vote-stuffing.
>
> Has anyone out there in the EM communities thought about this?

are you suggesting setting up experiments on FB where participants vote
about stuff, and then apply different voting systems to it?

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com