[EM] Gaming the Vote

Ted Stern araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 16:48:10 PST 2012

I've been thinking that one way to spread information about
alternative voting systems might be to gamify one or more systems.

Wikipedia explains gamification better than I could:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification

Basically, it's a form of crowd-sourcing where you give game-like
points and rewards to get masses of people to engage in large social
interactions.

On Facebook, for example, one could set up a ranking site to enable
users to do their own version of Oscar voting, political favorites,
etc, and award prizes for things we might be interested in (like
criteria satisfaction).  A site like FB would also have the advantage
of ID-checking to limit vote-stuffing.

Has anyone out there in the EM communities thought about this?

Ted
--
araucaria dot araucana at gmail dot com