[EM] Re : Majority Judgement

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Jan 30 13:59:27 PST 2012

Hi Mike,

In my simulations MJ and Bucklinesque methods usually show similar strategy patterns to Approval. (Though so
does Range.)

If there are three candidates, you can rank them A>B>C and get protection for A from the B preference if you
believe that A's viability depends on A having a top-slot majority. If you think that A could still win with, say, a
49% plurality, it doesn't make a lot of sense to give a preference to B (unless B is about as good).

In constructed scenarios it's not hard to imagine situations where this could be a useful guarantee. You can
easily make a situation where if A only gets 49%, it must be that opposing candidates and voters made up the rest,
in which case it's safe to give the second preference, because A definitely lost.

But in real elections I would be concerned by the fact that a narrow majority can be thwarted just by adding in
a few ballots for non-contenders.

If you go lower in the rankings (e.g. consider safety of 2nd preference from the specified 3rd preference) I think
the numbers just get more and more unclear as to whether you stand to gain anything for the risk you definitely
take.

By the way, I agree that AERLO methods probably violate FBC. The effects are too unpredictable.

Kevin