[EM] Dave, Jameson: IRV

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:39:53 PST 2012

> Jameson:
>
> A sincere CW, a Condorcet candidate, can't lose in a runoff.

Not unless voters change their mind. That could happen if they hadn't taken
the CW seriously before the first election, and so not looked closely
enough at them. Consider, for instance, all the flash-in-the-pan
not-Romneys in the Republican primaries. Imagine a similar phenomenon in
the general election. Say you had Romney against Obama. With partisans on
both sides who detest the other side, but are also holding their nose to
vote for their own candidate, an underqualified nobody, such as
a somewhat-more-centrist version of Herman Cain, would have a chance to be
CW if they "surged" at just the right time. Very unlikely that such a surge
would last until a runoff, though.

> Therefore, s/he can't lose
> if s/he is one of the two biggest votegetters in the primary. IRV doesn't
> have a guarantee like that.
>
> The conditional methods that I've been proposing won't elect "weak CWs",
> unfavorite CWs.

Do you mean strategic CWs? Strategic CWs basically only arise when there is
no honest CW, a possibility improbable enough for me to mostly discount.
No, I meant weak, as in unexamined flash-in-the-pan, as above.

> >Anyway, that whole argument just leaves IRV, MJ, and SODA as viable.
>
> What?? :-)

I don't mean that these are the most viable methods. I mean that they're
the most viable according to the weak-centrists-shouldn't-win argument. I
don't think that WCSW is the most important criterion, by any means, but it
is one aspect of viability worth discussing.

> IRV's viabillty is in the sewer, after Burlington.

Agreed.

> In my conversations with people, SODA
> has been rejected for complexity,

Have you seen simple four-step description of the process copied below?
This is enough to actually run a SODA election with; if you are willing to
summarize even further, you can easily reduce the first three steps to one
sentence each, and the last step to a clause on the last sentence.

*Here's the full step-by-step process of SODA voting:*
1. Candidates predeclare their preference order for the other candidates,
so that voters can make an informed choice
2. Voters vote on a ballot similar to the following. Approvals and
delegated votes are tallied and announced.
 Vote for as many candidates as you approve, or vote for just one candidate
to delegate your vote:

▢ Adams (Prefers Churchill, then Bachelet, then Deakin)

▢ Bachelet (Prefers Deakin and Churchill)

▢ Churchill (Prefers Adams)

▢ Deakin (No preferences declared)

▢ ____(write-in)____

▢ ____(write-in)____
If you only vote for one candidate, your vote is delegated to that
candidate, unless you check the box below. A delegated vote means that if
your favorite cannot win, they may assign further approvals to your vote,
according to their preferences above.

▢ Do not delegate. Do not let the candidate I voted for add approvals to my
vote.

Note: If you vote for more than one candidate, or if you vote for a
write-in or other candidate with no declared preferences, your vote is not
delegated. In that case, no-one can add approvals to your vote, and it does
not matter whether you check the box above.

3. The candidates, one at a time in decreasing order of approval, can
assign approvals on the ballots delegated to them. For candidates with less
than 5% approval, delegated approvals are assigned automatically. In either
case, the assigned approvals must respect the candidate's predeclared
order.
4. When one or more candidates have approvals (direct or delegated) from a
majority (more 50% of the voters), or when all delegated approvals have
been assigned, the candidate with the most approvals wins.

> and because it's such a big departure from the usual
> practice of letting the ballots, and only the ballots, decide the election.

Guilty as charged. But again, delegation is optional for any given voter,
so if they want their ballot to be fixed, they can have it be so without
losing voting power or getting any dishonest strategy incentives.

> You're all worried about what the incumbants will like or accept. They'll
> only accept what will keep electing them. They were elected by a method
> with a serious spoiler problem. Without that problem, and voters'
> consequent favorite-burial, those people wouldn't be in office.

I expect that around half of incumbents would be out, not all of them. The
ones with real, non-spoiler-based popularity do exist, and I have no beef
with them (per se).

> They
> know that. Give them a little credit. If you want something that our
> current inumbants will like, then my advice to you is to stick with
> Plurality and IRV, because those are the methods that will artificially
> preserve two-party domination.
>
> It was shown by Myerson & Weber that Plurality and IRV will keep on
> electing even the two most despised parties, if media have led people to
> believe that those are "the 2 choices".
> That's because, after everyone has voted for those parties, (surprise) one
> of them will win, seeming to confirm the belief that they're "the 2
> choices".
>
> Of course we're familiar with this in Plurality. But Myerson & Weber
> demonstrated that it's
> true of IRV too.

Is this Myerson, R. and Weber, R.J.(1993) A theory of Voting Equilibria.
American Political Science Review Vol 87, No. 1, 102-114?

> Initiaitives can win without any help from incumbants. It would be nice if
> incumbants would
> support methods that would end their careers, but don't count on it.

Constitutional conventions need to be green-lighted by either congress
(dead end) or legislatures from 2/3 of states (worth trying, after staging
mock conventions using a deliberative polling methodology, to show good
results).

Many states don't have an initiative process, or have an essentially
impossible one or one that's been gutted by the courts.

Jameson