[EM] David: Regarding Poll

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 7 12:31:17 PST 2012

David:

You wrote:

I think if you're going to assess election rules based on real world
practice, you gotta have realistic conditions... and you gotta include
IRV3/AV3.  I promise you that in the real world, it'd do just as realistic
as a lot of the other more complicated rules would.

[endquote]

Of course. If that method is one that is discussed here, then certainly it
should be used in the poll.

Now, could that method be used with only a ranking and the AERLO option?

Does it need information other than a ranking?

If it doesn't, then it could just be one of the ways of counting the rankings.

If it does, then, if IRV3/AV3 is popular on EM, and is one of EM's main
proposals, then the use of a special balloting for IRV3/AV3 is certainly
justified.

(The balloting so far are: Approval, Score, 3-Slot, and Unlimited Rankings)

If IRV3/AV3 requires information other than just a ranking, then it would
need a separate balloting, raising the total number of ballotings to 5.

But that's justified if IRV3/AV3 is one of the main proposals considered
here. I don't think that it's unreasonable for a poll to use special
ballotings for main EM-proposed methods that require a special balloting.
If IRV3/AV3 is popular on EM, then members wouldn't object to having
a special balloting for it.

Is there any objection?

Could you state the rule for IRV3/AV3 here? Does it need information other
than just rankings?

As I said, the creation of a poll must be a collective process, and
I have no objection to an additional balloting for a main EM proposal,
a method popular on EM.

Anyway, a collective process isn't up to me alone,
so of course I defer to what's popular.

Mike Ossipoff