[EM] STV vs Party-list PR, could context matter?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 07:26:33 PST 2012

> It seems to me that most folks think the choice is between ranked choices
> or party-list PR.

I don't. I think that party-list removes voter freedom, and ranked choices
is too much of a burden on the voter. While either would be better than
what we have, I prefer to use delegation a la SODA.

Thus my favored system is PAL
representation<http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/PAL_representation>.
It's true that PAL still has some (very attenuated) party-list-like
aspects, because party affiliation is used to match candidates to districts
at the end; but if you were willing to give up this (overlapping)
geographical representation aspect of PAL, you could make a similar
delegated PR system in which parties played no explicit role.

Jameson