[EM] STV+AV

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 19:57:51 PST 2012

I wanted to add that if STV (3-5 seats) with Droop Quota were used
consistently across the US that there'd be 50 states forming the
super-districts and so if there were biases due to gerrymandering some of
them would cancel out...

Also, even though this system is not terribly 3rd party friendly, it should
improve upon our current system some and it doesn't take a lot of 3rd party
reps to make a difference in the House of Reps.

Moreover, if the bicameral state legislatures were selected by both LR Hare
3-seats and a single-winner rule (insert your favorite here), then it'd
make it so that what helped with gerrymandering in one branch would hurt in
the other branch.  And there'd be much lower barriers for 3rd parties who'd
keep the major parties from gerrymandering the "super districts" used for
the House of Reps.

In fact, it might be a good thing to let the pretty darn proportionally
elected state house of reps elect our US senators again!!!  Statewide
campaigns are expensive and often driven by the manipulative mainstream
media.  And if the state reps got to elect our US senators every 2 years
then it would elevate even further the import of state reps elections which
would direct people's attention more so to those elections where their
votes are more likely to make a difference...

dlw