[EM] SODA criteria

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:16:22 PST 2012

Example where SODA fails participation. To avoid the issue of ties, just
assume that the alphabetically first candidate wins all ties. (Otherwise,
you have to add votes in groups of two to make things clear).
25: A(>B>C)
5: B
5: C
25: D(>C>B)
40: E

As things are, A gets to delegate first, and approves only B. Now B is the
only candidate who can beat E, so D approves B as well, and B wins. But if
one approval-style vote is added for B and D, then D delegates first, and
approves only C. C wins by the same token. So a vote for B has made B lose.

I can prove this is impossible with 4 or fewer candidates. In particular,
the balance between the (AB) team and the (CD) team mean that such a
scenario can never work without a plausible-threat candidate E.

A similar scenario works for IIA, with the new candidate stealing votes
from A and sharing A's delegation order.

I find these scenarios very highly implausible; for 1 election every 4
years, it's literally "not in a million years".

Jameson