[EM] Does Range need an abstention/participation tally?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 14:15:01 PST 2012

I'm working on sketching out data structures so that Helios
Voting<https://vote.heliosvoting.org/>,
an online, open-source, cryptographically-verifiable voting system, can use
advanced voting procedures such as Range, Majority Judgment, and SODA.
(Condorcet is a significantly harder problem but probably doable, and IRV
is essentially impossible).

My question is: for the Range voting structures, is it acceptable to just
keep one tally (total score) for each candidate, or do you also need a
tally of number of voters who rated/didn't rate a candidate? The latter
would be used for average-based schemes; so this question is equivalent to
asking, are such schemes important enough to be worth making the data
structures more complex? Since I'm the one signing up for the programming
work here, I'd appreciate it if answers that ask me to do more work have a
reasoning and a strength (ie, "I'd kinda prefer it" versus "I think it is
absolutely necessary").

Jameson