[EM] Declaration of Election-Method Experts and Enthusiasts

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Sep 1 15:03:16 PDT 2011

Thanks to both of you for worthy effort.

On Sep 1, 2011, at 12:38 AM, Richard Fobes wrote:

> OK, this is going to be controversial, but Jameson Quinn and I are
> attempting to write one advantage for each of the four election
> methods supported in our Declaration.
>
> Below are the versions each of us have written.  What does everyone
> else prefer?
>
> We know that the final result will be different from what either of
> us have written, so please suggest improvements -- either as better
> wordings or as requests for what to change.
>
> If we cannot agree on this content, we can leave out these
> paragraphs and let the readers investigate each method without us
> offering any high-level perspective.

--------------- A voter's view by Dave Ketchum -----------

Mark on a ruler those you would be willing to promote toward winning,
assuming those that you prefer drop out for some reason (in deciding
on a value, consider what would be meaningful in the election method
to be used).  Then consider the four systems of voting that might be
in place:

* Approval - vote for all that you have marked, perhaps excluding the
least-liked, for you are giving equal backing to all that you vote for.

* Condorcet system - rank all that you have marked, according to their
positions on the ruler, noting that this makes high-ranked preferred
over any lesser.

* Majority Judgment - rate those you would rank for Condorcet.  Also
rate the least-liked to help vote counters see how you scale strength.

* Range - same as MJ.

> ------------- version from Jameson Quinn: -------------
>
> Some examples of advantages claimed for each system are:
>
> * Approval is the simplest of the systems, and thus, in places where
> voters are wary of complexity, may have the best chance of passing.
> Even at an academic conference on social choice theory, where few
> argued that Approval was the overall-best system, it still received
> the widest support. It also is a step towards any of the other
> systems; any of the systems, if used with an approval ballot, ends
> up being equivalent to approval. Therefore, after seeing what issues
> arose under approval, we might be able to make a better-informed
> choice of which other system to move on to.
>
> * Condorcet systems give the best possible guarantee that the result
> would be consistent with a two-way race. When there is a “Condorcet
> winner” --- a single candidate who could beat any other candidate
> one-on-one --- most people’s sense of fairness and democracy say
> that such a candidate should win.

"two-way" means?

> * Majority Judgment allows a score ballot, the most expressive
> ballot type because it can show the strength of preferences. The
> advocates of this system claim that it gives relatively little
> incentive for dishonest, strategic votes. Also, by focusing on the
> absolute quality of a candidate, rather than their quality relative
> to other options, it may help avoid a situation where a polarized
> electorate elects an unqualified compromise candidate just because
> both sides prefer such a nonentity to seeing the other side win.
>
> * Range also uses the expressive score ballot. This system has been
> shown in simulations to give the results which best-satisfy the
> voters. It gives the best results in this sense with any
> predetermined fractions of honest and strategic voters. It is not
> known if these simulations accurately reflect real voters, who might
> use strategy in different amounts under different voting systems or
> in different factions.
>
> ------------- version from Richard Fobes: -------------
>
> Although we disagree about various characteristics of the four
> supported methods, most of us agree that:
>
> * Approval voting is the easiest election method in terms of
> collecting preferences (either on ballots or verbally) and in terms
> of counting.
>
> * Condorcet methods provide the fairest results in the many cases in
> which one candidate – the Condorcet winner – is pairwise preferred
> over every other candidate.

When there is no single winner, the vote counting must decide among
those best approaching winning.