[EM] Is there any profile where IRV is worse than Plurality?

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Fri Sep 23 16:13:43 PDT 2011

Since we're discussing IRV quite a bit lately, here's a question:

- Is there any voter profile where IRV gives a worse result than plurality?

I can't seem to think of one.  So is it true that, mathematically, IRV
dominates Plurality, that is IRV is always at least as good as plurality and
sometimes strictly better?

Even if that is true, I still believe that IRV is harmful, socially.  By
successfully avoiding the traditional spoiler problem (where spoilers are
very weak), it leads people to believe that it is immune to the spoiler
problem.  Then it leads them directly into the second-tier spoiler scenarios
where a large group of voters will, by voting honestly, cause their least
favorite candidate to win.

~ Andy