[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 87, Issue 54

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 15:36:20 PDT 2011

Kristofer Munsterhjelm   > Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:22 PM
> > James Gilmour wrote:
> > You are right, so far as I am aware  -  there have never been any
> > Condorcet public elections anywhere in the world.  That in itself
> > should tell us something as the Condorcet voting system has
> > been known since 1785.
>
> Nanson's method was used in city elections in Marquette, Michigan. It
> might not be a very large-scale public election, but I think
> it was public.

Although Nanson's method satisfies the Condorcet criterion, I would not have recognised it as a Condorcet count.  It is essentially
a variation of the Borda points system.  To me, Condorcet counts are based strictly on pair-wise comparisons.  According to the
Wikipedia page, Nanson's method was used for those city elections in the 1920s (when other US cities were using STV) and for some
semi-public elections in Australia.  But if we regard Nanson's method as a Borda count, of course Borda counts have been and still
are used for some public elections.

James Gilmour