[EM] Enhanced DMC

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 11 10:08:21 PDT 2011

Forest Simmons wrote (15 Aug 2011):

>Here's a possible scenario:
>
>Suppose that approval order is alphabetical from most approval to least A, B, C, D.
>
>Suppose further that pairwise defeats are as follows:

>Then the set P = {A, B} is the set of candidates neither of which is pairwise
>beaten by anybody with greater approval.
>
>Since the approval winner  A is not covered by B, it is not covered by any
>member of P, so the enhanced version of DMC elects A.
>
>But A is covered by C so it cannot be elected by any of the chain building
>methods that elect only from the uncovered set.

Forest,

Is the  "Approval Chain-Building" method the same as simply electing the
most  approved uncovered candidate?

I surmise that the set of candidates not pairwise beaten by a more
approved candidate (your set "P", what I've
been referring to as the "Definite Majority set") and the Uncovered set
don't necessarily overlap.

If forced to choose between electing from the Uncovered set and electing
from the  "DM" set, I  tend towards
the latter.

Since Smith//Approval always elects from the DM set, and your suggested
"enhanced DMC"  (elect the most
approved member of the DM set that isn't covered by another member)
doesn't necessarily elect from the Uncovered set;
there doesn't seem to be any obvious philosophical case that enhanced
DMC is better than Smith//Approval.

(Also I would say that an election where those two methods produce
different winners would be fantastically unlikely.)

A lot of  Condorcet methods are promoted as being able to give the
winner just from the information contained in the
gross pairwise matrix.  I think that the same is true of these methods
if  we take a candidate X's highest gross pairwise
score as X's approval score.  Can you see any problem with that?

Chris Benham