[EM] Proportional, Accountable, Local (PAL) representation: isn't this a big deal?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 09:36:43 PDT 2011

here's my  version of the simplest system I can design which would satisfy
the basic goals. Afterwards, I'll say a bit about why I made PAL the way I
did. Still, the simplicity may be worth it. So, here's SPAL (simplified
PAL):

Each candidate pre-announces an STV ballot with themselves at the top.
Voters get a ballot with the candidates from their district. They may vote
one of these local candidates or write-in any [statewide] candidate.
Election proceeds by STV. One candidate per party is assigned to each
district according to the following two constraints:
1. Reassigning one district could not make the number of party votes per
representative more even.
2. Total votes for candidates from their assigned districts is maximized,
insofar as consistent with condition 1.

(This seems like a manageable maximization problem for realistic numbers of
districts and party delegation sizes)

In effect, I suspect SPAL would quickly evolve into a closed-list system,
while PAL would remain truly open-list. So perhaps SPAL should be called SPL
because it's not fully accountable. Other than that, SPAL has the basic
advantages of PAL: proportional, local, and unlike FMV there are no
unfair-seeming multipliers.

JQ