[EM] Proportional, Accountable, Local (PAL) representation: isn't this a big deal?

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:34:57 PDT 2011

> From: Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>

> Here's some discussion of PAL representation's legality in the
> US<http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/PAL_representation#Note_on_legality_in_US>.
> A state could pass a law to use FMV (a true proportional system) until the
> anti-PR federal law is repealed, then automatically switch to PAL
> representation (an easy and smooth transition; FMV was a major inspiration
> for PAL). Basically, I think it's an important fact that FMV is the only
> known proportional system *compatible with current US federal law*. (There
> are no US constitutional barriers to PR, just federal law).

Jameson,

I believe the federal law applies only to federal elections. Thus a
state could allocate its state legislative seats proportionately in
any fair way that did not violate other laws.  In general, Congress
only passes electoral laws pertaining to federal elections. Isn't that
so?

I did not realize that Jefferson supported a proportional system of
electing representatives.

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org
Town of Colonie, NY 12304
"One of the best ways to keep any conversation civil is to support the
discussion with true facts."
"Renewable energy is homeland security."

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051