[EM] A design flaw in the electoral system

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 11:39:57 PDT 2011

True. My vote has probably not made any difference in any of the (large) elections that I have ever participated. But on the other hand, was that the intention of the election? Probably not. I guess the intention was to elect those alternatives that had wide support. Allowing me to change the winner (with any significant probability) would have violated the principles of democracy.

> If you (or I) have any political freedom in the face of state power
> and laws, then it cannot possibly come from voting in elections.

I think I had my fair share of power (1 / number of voters).

(One more possible explanation is that the politicians were at least afraid of me voting against them, and that's why they did what I wanted them to do.)

Juho