[EM] Jameson: MTA, MJ, MTAOC, SODA

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 02:56:49 PST 2011

2011/11/26 MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp at hotmail.com>

> Jameson:
>
> You said:
>
> There are other methods which you don't mention even though their
> advantages are similar to those of the ones you do.
>
> 2011/11/25 MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp at hotmail.com>
>

> Regarding the co-operation/defection problem, there are about 4
> possibilities:
>

> 1. Just propose MTA and Keep the co-operation/defection problem.
>
> Majority
>  Judgment has similar advantages to MTA in this case.
>
> [endquote]
>
> Does it? Who knows?

Anyone who takes the time to read the academic
literature<https://sites.google.com/site/ridalaraki/majority-judgment>
.

> Have its proponents told what criteria it meets and specifically what
> guarantees it
> offers?
>
> How does it do in the Approval bad-example?

Same as MTA. That is, honest-votes will reliably give a good result, unlike
unstable Approval; but strategic voting will lead to failure.

> (to compare it to MTAOC)

If you're unwilling to research the published answers to your own
questions, why do you persist in asking us to look up your alphabet soup in
old posts? For instance, I know what you mean by MTAOC (a system with a
strong dishonest-fill incentive, which could be almost as bad as Borda in
practice), but searching past messages for that acronym just gives the
written-out name, and then it would take a separate search (which, if you
happened to be using a strict search engine, would fail) to find the actual
definition.

> What majority-rule guarantees does it offer? Does it meet 3P or 1CM?

It meets 3P, which I happen to remember what it means. If you define
1CM<http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/1CM>I'll tell you if it meets
that.

> It probably has a strategy situation very much like that of ordinary RV.
> The method of summed scores.

No. For most voters in real-world studies of MJ, their honest,
not-even-normalized MJ ballot was strategically optimal. That is clearly
far better than Range.

> 4. Find a simpler method that has those advantages.
>
> Such as SODA.
>
> [endquote]
>
> Go ahead and propose the enactment of SODA somewhere if you think that a
> method involving
> delegates or proxies is as winnable as methods that do not.

I am working to do so. Note that SODA proxies are 100% optional, and also
bound to a predeclared strategy in ways that should prevent most corrupt
proxy use.

> If one is going to propose a method involving proxies, then Proxy DD is
> the biggest and most
> ambitious improvment. I described it in a posting when you asked about it.

Yes, you reinvented Liquid Democracy / Asset Voting / Delegable Proxy.
That's a very good system but it is a far, far more radical change than
SODA. As Kristofer pointed out, for one thing it abandons the secret ballot
entirely.

Jameson