[EM] Re : An ABE solution

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Nov 24 19:47:43 PST 2011

Hi,

De : Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>
>>À : Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au>
>>Cc : EM <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>; "fsimmons at pcc.edu" <fsimmons at pcc.edu>
>>Envoyé le : Mercredi 23 Novembre 2011 7h43
>>Objet : Re: [EM] An ABE solution
>>
>I don't agree that "Sincere Favorite" is practically equivalent to the FBC. The FBC is about not having to lower your one favorite candidate; it is not about not having to pick a single favorite from your favorite set. As a voter, I'd regard the former as a serious dilemma, and the latter as a trivial detail.
>>

>>Jameson

Can anyone explain this to me? I haven't understood it yet.

Obviously the reason I test whether lowering any "favorite" causes a desired result is the fact that any one of those candidates
actually might be the sincere favorite.

I will read the other messages again but I am not sure how you will make a better votes-only definition without doing something
similar to this. The FBC of course theoretically is passed by a lot of methods that would not pass the votes-only version. But
I don't believe it's likely that, in those cases, the methods are really providing a valuable guarantee.

Kevin