[EM] More non-altruistic attacks on IRV usage.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:39:54 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

>> .... You can't end FPTP without following its logic and that entails the
>> sort of activism mastered by FairVote....
>>
>> And it's going to get easier to push for electoral reforms in the coming
>> year thanks to #OWS ....
>>

> #OWS embraces consensus logic, the polar opposite of plurality logic. And
> yet it is succeeding in moving the debate in a way that many things which
> preceded it did not.

dlw: #OWS is about changing the political culture.  This is more crucial
than to change the literal rules in place but to change such rules will
require an adaptation to plurality logic so that we pick a target and fix
it.

> JQ:I believe that cautious reformism is as much of a dead-end as dreamy
> utopianism. We need to plan to take over the world, because right now the
> feasible and the necessary are non-overlapping sets. You don't get where we
> need to go without the tough work of solidarity and consensus (including
> swallowing your pride); you don't get there by seeing the logic of what
> precedes you as an inevitable crutch to the future; and you don't get there
> by over-valuing the sunk costs of past activism.

dlw: IRV alone is cautious reformism.  IRV+PR + the politics of
Gandhi/MLKjr is not.  When we put most of our chips on the politics of
Gandhi/MLKjr/#OWS to make feasible the changes that we need then we can
afford to play our cards smart on electoral reform.

dlw