[EM] More non-altruistic attacks on IRV usage.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:20:05 PST 2011

Let me start off by saying that I'm thankful for this list-serve of people
passionate about electoral reform
and that you put together a working consensus statement.  I'm trying to
work it some more...

My belief is that the US's system makes it necessary to frame electoral
reform simply and to limit the options proffered.  This is what FairVote
does and they do it well.  If you're going to undercut their marketing
strategy then ethically the burden of proof is on you wrt providing a
clear-cut alternative to IRV3.  Your statement provide several solutions.
This is not a clear-cut alternative.  I argue for IRV3/AV3 as such an
alternative, for it addresses your critiques.  It also could be pitched in
such a way as permits FairVote to save face and retain its leadership role
in electoral reform in the US, which increases the chances that they and
others switch to it.

And so what about IRV3/AV3?  Is that not worth at least including in your
statement, along with the phrase "American forms of Proportional
Representation", which is likely going to be getting big due to the
leadership of FairVote in this coming year?

I'll likely sign it, but I feel conflicted because of the reasons I mention
above, and want some due process over these ideas first.

dlw