[EM] An ABE solution

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 24 10:50:30 PST 2011

Forest,

In reference to your new Condorcet method suggestion (pasted at the bottom), which elects an
uncovered candidate and if there is none one-at-time disqualifies the Range loser until a remaining
candidate X covers all the other remaining candidates and then elects X, you wrote:

"Indeed, the three slot case does appear to satisfy the FBC..".

No. Here is my example, based on that Kevin Venke proof you didn't like.

Say sincere is

3: B>A
3: A=C
3: B=C
2: A>C
2: B>A
2: C>B
1: C

Range (0,1,2) scores: C19,   B17,   A12.

C>B 8-5,   B>A 10-5,   A>C  7-6.

C wins.

Now we focus on the 3 B>A preferrers. Suppose (believing the method meets the FBC)
they vote B=A.
 3: B=A  (sincere is B>A)
3: A=C
3: B=C
2: A>C
2: B>A
2: C>B
1: C
 Range (0,1,2) scores: C19,   B17,   A15.

C>B 8-5,   B>A 7-5,   A>C  7-6.

C still wins.

Now suppose they instead rate their sincere favourite Middle:

3: A>B  (sincere is B>A)

3: A=C
3: B=C
2: A>C
2: B>A
2: C>B
1: C
 Range (0,1,2) scores: C19,   A15,   B12.

A>B  8-7,   A>C  7-6,    C>B  8-5

Now those 3 voters get a result they prefer, the election of their compromise
candidate A. Since it is clear they couldn't have got a result for themselves as
good or better by voting B>A or  B>C or B this is a failure of the FBC.

Chris Benham