[EM] An ABE solution

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Nov 22 14:31:51 PST 2011

You are right that although the method is defined for any number of slots, I suggested three slots as
most practical.

So my example of two slots was only to disprove the statement the assertion that the method cannot be
FBC compliant, since it is obviously compliant in that case.

Furthermore something must be wrong with the quoted proof (of the incompatibility of the FBC and the
CC) because the winner of the two slot case can be found entirely on the basis of the pairwise matrix.
The other escape hatch is to say that two slots are not enough to satisfy anything but the voted ballots
version of the Condorcet Criterion.  But this applies equally well to the three slot case.

Either way the cited "therorem" is not good enough to rule out compliance with the FBC by this new
method.

Indeed, the three slot case does appear to satisfy the FBC as well.  It is an open question.  I did not
assert that it does.  But I did say that "IF" it is strategically equivalent to Approval (as Range is, for
example) then for "practical purposes" it satisfies the FBC.  Perhaps not the letter of the law, but the
spirit of the law.  Indeed, in a non-stratetgical environment nobody worries about the FBC, i.e. only
strategic voters will betray their favorite. If optimal strategy is approval strategy, and approval strategy
requires you to top rate your favorite, then why would you do otherwise?

Forest