[EM] MTA vs. MCA (was "An ABE solution")

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Nov 21 20:37:23 PST 2011

On Nov 21, 2011, at 8:53 PM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> Jameson,
>
> like you I think ratings are simpler and easier for the voter.  But
> it doesn't matter because ordinal ballots
> can be transformed clone free and monotonically into ratings by the
> technique I gave in my message
> entitled
> "Borda Done Right" a few months ago.

I see July 27 as when Forest described converting rankings to
ratings.  Actually not much worth doing unless the ranking coder
expected this conversion (the fact that the numbers convert does not
make the associations among them fit in their new environment).

Converting the other way is easier - keep the numbers and call them
rankings.  This keeps all that is meaningful for we look at rankings
for A & B and care only whether we have A>B, A=B, or A<B.

Forest described the modest effort for converting rankings to
ratings.  I claim ratings to rankings HAS to be simpler since you
simply change the labels without doing anything to the numbers
themselves.

Using them also fits:
      Ranking as to two values - just see to it that all A &B pairs
properly relate as above.
      Rating demands also deciding on the magnitude of the differences
the voters, collectively, assign.