[EM] MTA vs. MCA (was "An ABE solution")

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:23:48 PST 2011

Why ranked and not graded ballots? This method would be consistent with
non-normalized ballots (with no top-ratings or no bottom-ratings) being
strategically optimal in some cases, arguably in most real-world cases. As
Balinski and Laraki argue, using commonly-understood ratings/grades is the
only way to avoid having strategy be, not just a consideration in rating,
but the only logically coherent one. And it's easier, cognitively, to
separately rate each candidate on a meaningful scale than to sort them into
a rank order.

Jameson