[EM] An ABE solution

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 19 18:35:20 PST 2011

Forest Simmons, responding to questions from Mike Ossipff, wrote (19 Nov
2011):

> > 4. How does it do by FBC? And by the criteria that bother some
> > people here about MMPO (Kevin's MMPO bad-example) and MDDTR
> (Mono-Add-Plump)?
>
> I think it satisfies the FBC.

Forest's definition of the method being asked about:

> Here’s my current favorite deterministic proposal: Ballots are Range
> Style, say three slot for simplicity.
>
> When the ballots are collected, the pairwise win/loss/tie relations are
> determined among the candidates.
>
> The covering relations are also determined. Candidate X covers
> candidate Y if X
> beats Y as well as every candidate that Y beats. In other words row X
> of the
> win/loss/tie matrix dominates row Y.
>
> Then starting with the candidates with the lowest Range scores, they are
> disqualified one by one until one of the remaining candidates X covers
> any other
> candidates that might remain. Elect X.

Forest,

Doesn't this method meet the Condorcet criterion? Compliance with
Condorcet is incompatible with FBC, so
why do you think it satisfies FBC?

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2005-June/016410.html

Chris Benham