[EM] An ABE solution

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Nov 19 11:30:02 PST 2011

Mike, thanks for your comments. I'll respond in line below.

> From: MIKE OSSIPOFF
> Hi Forest--
>
> Thanks for answering my question about MTA vs MCA. Your argument
> on that question is convincing, and
> answers my question about the strategy difference between those
> two methods.
>
> Certainly, electing C in the ABE avoids the ABE problem. I'd
> been hoping that the election of C can be attained
> without diverging from Plurality's results enough to upset some
> people, as MMPO and MDDTR seem to
> do.
>
> So the method that you describe might avoid the public relations
> (non)problems of methods that elect
> A.
>
> I have a few questions about the method that you describe:
>
> 1. What name do you give to it? In this post I'll call it "Range
> till cover-winner" or RCW

Good Idea.

> 2. The covering relation doesn't look at pairwise ties?

Different variants handle ties differently, but I favor using dominance in the win/loss/tie matrix, in which
the entry in row x column y is respectively one, minus one, or zero depending on whether candidate x
beats, is beaten by, or ties with candidate y, respectively.  We consider a candidate to be tied with
itself, so for each x, the diagonal (x, x) entry is zero.

Note that this matrix can be gotten by subtracting the transpose of the pairwise matrix from itself, and
then replacing each entry by its sign, where sign(t) is 1, -1, or 0, depending on whether t is positive,
negativve, or zero.  In other words, replace each entry in the pairwise margins matrix with its sign.

Row x dominates row y iff the two rows are not identical and every entry in row x is at least as great as
the corresponding entry in row y.

Candidate x covers candidate y iff row x dominates row y in the above sense.

> 3. Does the ballot ask the voter for cardinal ratings of the
> candidates, or is the range score
> calculated a la Borda?

Cardinal ratings are assumed, and for public proposal I contemplate three slots.

If the ballots are ordinal, you can transform them (clone free and monotonically) to cardinal ballots via my
algorithm under the heading "Borda Done Right."

> 4. How does it do by FBC? And by the criteria that bother some
> people here about MMPO (Kevin's
> MMPO bad-example) and MDDTR (Mono-Add-Plump)?

I think it satisfies the FBC.  In fact, it reduces to Approval in the two slot version or if all voters rate only
at the extremes., Approval strategy is probably near near optimal.

It satisfies Mono-Add-Plump.  Proof:  First note that addition of a ballot that truncates all of the
candidates doesn't change the winner since it doesn't change the covering relations nor does it change
the range score (cardinal rating) order. Now, on such a ballot raise the winner from trunctated status to
non-truncated status, and leave the rest of the candidates at the bottom.  By the monotonicity of the
method, the winner is preserved.

I believe it satisfies the Plurality criterion.  At least in Kevin's MMPO bad example it ties the two outside
candidates.

> There's much hope that, by electing C instead of A, RCW can
> avoid those criticisms.
>
> I'm also interested in how it does by 1CM and 3P, but I'll look
> at that, instead
> of asking you to do everything for me, especially since I'm the
> one promoting those
> two criteria.

I don't hve those two criteria on the tip of my tongue, but I'll look them up and see if I can help you on
that.

> Mike

Forest