[EM] Poll for favorite multi-winner voting system

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 07:19:40 PST 2011

I have some problems in putting these methods in the order of preference. In both single-winner and multi-winner methods I tend to think that the answer is often different for different needs and different societies.

I'm used to open lists. I wouldn't recommend changing them to STV because that would take away some of the good features that people are used to in open lists. For similar reasons STV societies might not benefit of changing to open lists. These two approaches are at their best in different environments e.g. with respect to number of candidates, size of districts, and level of proportionality. So it all depends on what we want, what we are used to, and which steps are politically feasible next steps.

One general purpose system that I like, that can be highly proportional, that may work in multiple environments, with different targets, and that may be politically acceptable in many environments, is a mixture of open lists and STV style ranking based proportional methods (where ranking is used to implement proportionality within the parties). One could also support trees to allow small parties / groups to form alliances.

(Actually I'm already almost talking about a generic system that can be parameterized to meet different needs.)

Juho