[EM] Election Day causes stress

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Sun Nov 13 05:46:07 PST 2011

Ted Stern wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/science/voters-experience-stress-on-election-day-study-finds.html
>
> I remember hearing about other studies showing that making difficult
> decisions "uses up" the energy and neurotransmitters required for will
> power.
>
> So to bring this back on topic, I think we should be looking for
> methods that make voting decisions easier for the voter, because it
> will lead to better, less stressful decisions.

The question then is "what is easier?". Myself, I find ranking easier
than rating because I don't have to care about anchoring the ratings
properly (i.e. what does a 10 *mean* in comparison to a 0? Does Stalin
get a 0? Does Satan get a 0, and if both are on the ballot, does Stalin
still get a 0, or does he get a 1 for being better than Satan?).
However, I've heard that others think that rating is easier and more
intuitive than ranking.