[EM] Approval Bad Example

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 9 19:56:13 PST 2011

Jameson,

something plus FBC you
responded:

> Yes. 321 voting <http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/321_voting>

>   321 voting
>

>       From Electowiki
>
> Jump to: navigation <#column-one>, search <#searchInput>
>
> 3-level rated ballots. Of the 3 candidates with the most ratings, take
> the 2 candidates with the most top-ratings, and then take the 1
> pairwise winner among those.

This fails FBC in the same way that ER-IRV(whole) does. From my 2 Nov.
EM post:

<snip>

Here is Kevin Venzke's example from a June 2004  EM post:

6: A
3: C>B
2: C=B  (sincere is C>B)
2: B

The method is ER-IRV(whole). If the 2 C=B voters sincerely vote C>B then
the first-round scores are
A6,  C5,  B2.   B is eliminated and A wins.

As it is the first-round scores are A6, C5, B4. B is still eliminated
and A wins.

To meet FBC no voters should have any incentive to vote their sincere
favourite below equal-top.

6: A
3: C>B
2: B>C  (sincere is C>B)
2: B

But if those 2 voters (sincere C>B, was C=B) do that and strictly
top-rank their compromise candidate B, then the first-round scores are
A6,  B4,  C3.  C is eliminated and B wins: B7, A6.

By down-ranking their sincere favourite those 2 voters have gained a
result they prefer that they couldn't have got any other way, a clear
failure of the
Favorite Betrayal Criterion (FBC).

<snip>

Even if  321 voting met FBC with 3 candidates it  it wouldn't with more,
because
sincerely rating your sincere favourite  Top instead of Bottom could
mean that your
favourite displaces your compromise candidate from the  top 3 most rated
candidates and
goes on to lose when your compromise would have won.

Chris Benham
.