[EM] IRV Variant

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:43:52 PST 2011

Robert Bristow says:

how 'bout also refraining from ALL CAPS

[endquote]

I don't know if Robert intends that to refer to some practice of mine. Abbreviations
using initial letters typically use all-caps. That practice isn't original with me.

Robert continues:

, the use of a really dumb text
quoting protocol

[endquote]

Well, what's "really dumb" is the person who regards himself as the authority
on how something should be done.

The belief that your own preferences or choices are the standard for merit is a delusion.
People suffering from that delusion tend to have the worst manners.

Perhaps Robert needs to read the conduct guidelines for this mailing list.

Just so you understand, Robert, instead of presenting your own preferences or choices
as the standard for merit, you need to actually say _why_ you think that your way of doing
something is better, or why some other way of doing things is worse.

Perhaps Robert thinks that I should go through large blocks of text, typing "> " at the
beginning of each line, because that would conform to what Robert is more used to. No thanks.

Robert continues:

, and the assumption that one speaks for the group when
they've been around for an entire month.

[endquote]

Vague and referentless.

In what message, posted on what day, did I say that I spoke for a group? Robert forgot
to tell us that.

Quite aside from that, I was among those who were on this mailing list at the time that it was started.

Robert says:

(and MIKE OSSIPOFF, electing the CW *is* majority rule, when the CW
exists.

[endquote]

No, not unless the pairwise defeats are majority defeats. Not all pairwise defeats are majority defeats.
Does Robert know what "majority" means?

A majority is more than half of the voters in a particular election.

But there are a number of majority rule criteria. They include Majority Favorite, Mutual Majority (Majority
for Solid Coalitions), SDSC, WDSC, SFC, 1CM, 3P, UP, etc.

All of those can be met by methods that don't meet the Condorcet Criterion.

CC doesn't have a monopoly on majority rule, and, in fact, CC isn't about majority, in the usual sense of
that word.

Robert continues:

and i'll bet i know and understand a lot more of the gritty
details of the Burlington VT IRV elections in 2006 and 2009 and exactly
what went wrong in 2009 than you seem to grant.)

[endquote]

Did I say you didn't know what happened in Burlington?

I don't claim to know anything about what happened in Burlington, other than that
IRV was rejected. I don't know what IRV failure led to that rejection.

Mike Ossipoff