[EM] Does High Resolution Range offer a solution to the ABE?

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Nov 26 17:26:38 PST 2011

While working with MinMaxCardinalRatingsPairwiseOpposition (MMcrwPO) I got an
idea that high resolution Range might have an acceptable solutin to the
defection problem that we have been considering:

Sincere ballots

49 C
x: A>B
y: B>A

where x appears to be slightly larger than y in the polls.

The A and B factions can agree to enough support such that if they both follow
through the one with the larger support will win, but if one defects, C X will win.

In this case that level of support is about 96%.  If the A voters and the B
voters both give 96% to their second choice, then A or B will win, depending on
whether or not x is greater than y.  If anybody defects from this, then C sill win.