[EM] Largest-Remainder doesn't favor small parties, but isn't very proportional either. PR is obsolete now that Proxy DD is available.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 11:51:31 PST 2011

1. Proportional Representation is obsolete, now that we have technology to easily
implement Proxy Direct Democracy. (I discussed Proxy DD in a fairly recent post).

2. Largest Remainder, with the Hare quota, doesn't favor small parties. It's
unbiased with respect to party-size. But it's also not very proportional.
It has lots of random deviation from proportionality.

Sainte-Lague is the proportional PR.

Sainte-Lague is known, in Congressional apportionment discussion, as "[Daniel] Webster's method".
It has a different implementation-rule definition from that of Sainte-Lague, but it's the same
method, giving the same apportionment.

Largest Remainder is known, in Congressional apportionment discussion as "[Alexander] Hamilton's method".

Both of those methods have been used to apportion the U.S. House of Representatives.

Of course both are used for PR too.

If you don't believe that Sainte-Lague is the most proportional PR method, then look at my
Sainte-Lague PR article at Barnsdale's electoral website.

I think that the URL is something like http://www.Barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/PR

PR is unwinnable in the U.S, where electoral reform, in addition to efforts for Proxy DD, should be about a better
single-winner method.

Of course, with Proxy DD, all decisions will be single-winner decisions, among all kinds of sets of alternatives.

Mike Ossipoff