[EM] MMPO tiebreakers that don't violate FBC.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:32:30 PST 2011

First of all, no one has found an example in which my most recent MMPO tiebreaker
fails FBC.

"Solve MMPO's ties by MMPO".

I'll call that tiebreaker 1.

Tiebreaker 2:

Whenever there's a tie, the winner is the candidate whose next largest pairwise opposition is the
least. ("next largest" after the pairwise opposition with which s/he is tied with other
candidates)

Tiebreaker 3:

If there is a tie, the winner is the candidate with the most top-ratings.

MMPO with tiebreaker 1 is MMPO1

MMPO with tiebreaker 2 is MMPO2

MMPO with tiebreaker 3 is MMPO3.

MMPO2 and MMPO3 meet FBC.

No one has found an example in which MMPO1 fails FBC.

MDDTR meets FBC, CD, and Later-No-Harm (LNHa); and fails Mono-Add-Plump.

MMPO2 and MMPO3 meet FBC, CD & LNHa, and Mono-Add-Plump; and "fails" in Kevin's
MMPO bad-example:

9999: A
1:    A=C
1:    B=C
9999: B

In this example, MMPO elects C.

MCA, MTA, MDDTR, MDDA, ABucklin and MDD,ABucklin return a tie between A & B.

How bad is this result of MMPO's?

Notice that nearly all of the A voters are indifferent between B and C.
And the one A voter who isn't indifferent prefers C to B.

Likewise nearly all of the B voters are indifferent between A and C.
And the one B voter who isn't indiffefrent prefers C to A.

So how bad can c be? How bad can MMPO's result be?

So, the choice between MMPO and MDDTR is a choice between failing Mono-Add-Plump, vs
"failing" in kevin's MMPO bad-example. Only polling will tell which "failure" is
more likely to appear bad to potential petition-signers and enaction-voters.

When we regard the pairwise comparison between C and A, and the pairwise comparison
between C and B, in isolation, it's easy to forget that we aren't actually holding those
two pairwise elections. We're used to looking at pairwise contests, because we're used to
pairwise-count methods. But no one is saying that the one voter who votes C over A is
more important than the greater number who vote A over c. I suggest that the
strong pairwise defeats against C look more important than they are, because we're
used to looking at pairwise count methods, with the result that we actually start
believing that there was a a 2-candidate election between A and C, and one between B and C.

As I said, MDDTR and MMPO might be "controversial", because of failure of Mono-Add-Plump,
or "failure" in Kevin's MMPO bad-example. So, I don't consider them to be the easiest or
best public proposals. It would be necessary to talk to some people before being sure
that they'd be winnable proposals.

A 3-slot version of SFC should be written, to tell of the SFC-like guarantee offered by
MDDTR. (Strictly speaking, SFC can only be passed by full ranking methods.)

By the way, when people object to "random-fill incentive" for MDDTR, maybe they're
forgetting that MDDTR is a 3-slot method.

And, if MMPO were proposed as a 3-slot method, that would avoid the "random-fill incentive"
criticism of it too.

Mike Ossipoff