[EM] A design flaw in the electoral system

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Tue Nov 1 11:48:36 PDT 2011

Good Afternoon, Michael

As I was studying your October 29th 'expanded outline' so I could
comment on it, I read your later responses.  This led to an extensive
review of the posts regarding "A structural fault in society owing to a
design flaw in the electoral system" going back to the first of October.
  The result was unsatisfactory.

For example, on October 23rd, I wrote:

 > It appears the (i.e., your) point is that, at the moment a
 > ballot is cast, the person that casts the ballot ceases to be
 > a voter.  That is only true as to future issues which may come
 > before the voters.  It is untrue as to the issue on which the
 > ballot was cast.

On October 29th, you responded:

 > Technically it is always true I think, or at least in my
 > terminology.  The elector is technically a "voter" while in
 > possession of the ballot (in the act of voting) and not at
 > other times.  The distinction is crucial to the thesis, because
 > it can be difficult to behave like a voter and engage in social
 > decision making without the support of a concrete ballot
 > (abstract voting).
 >
 > You are speaking of an "elector" in my terms (one who has a
 > right to vote) and not an actual voter.

That is specious.  The phrases "in my terminology" and "in my terms" may
have significance for you but they do not make your definition
'technically' correct.  I'm attaching definitions of the terms 'vote',
'voter' and 'ballot', below, for whatever value you may find in them.

The assertion that the value of a vote is 'exactly zero' is equally
distressing.  It is based on the assumption that changing the input to a
completed process will not alter the result of the process.  The
arguments in support of the assumption are abstruse.

The discouraging part of this dissension (for me) is that you opened
discussion of a vital issue, one that is seldom broached on this site.
It is a matter that vitally concerns us all, and anything that detracts
from investigation of the primary point is distressing.

You correctly assert that, in a democracy, an electoral process that
provides no means for public participation in the decision making
process is flawed.  The open question is how to resolve that issue.  We
would do well to apply our intellect to that thorny problem.

Fred Gohlke

American English and British English Definitions provided by
Macmillan Dictionary:

Quick definitions from Macmillan (vote)

verb
 > to formally express an opinion by choosing between two or
   more issues, people, etc.
 > to show your choice of a person or an issue in an election
 > to choose something or someone to win a prize or an honor
 > to suggest what you would like to do in a particular situation

noun
 > the formal expression of a choice between two or more issues,
   people, etc.
 > an occasion when people formally choose between two or more
   issues, people, etc. in an election
 > the total number of votes made in an election

Quick definitions from Macmillan (voter)

noun
 > someone who votes in an election

Quick definitions from Macmillan (ballot)

noun
 > the process of voting secretly to choose a candidate in an
   election or express an opinion about an issue
 > the total number of votes recorded in an election
 > a piece of paper that you write your vote on

verb
 > to ask people to vote in order to decide an issue
 > to vote in order to decide an issue

Definitions provided by WordNet:

Quick definitions from WordNet (vote)

 > noun:  the opinion of a group as determined by voting ("They
          put the question to a vote")
 > noun:  a choice that is made by voting ("There were only 17
          votes in favor of the motion")
 > noun:  the total number of votes cast ("They are hoping for a
          large vote")
 > noun:  a body of voters who have the same interests ("He failed
          to get the Black vote")
 > noun:  a legal right guaranteed by the 15th amendment to the US
          constitution; guaranteed to women by the 19th amendment
          ("American women got the vote in 1920")
 > verb:  express one's preference for a candidate or for a
          measure or resolution; cast a vote ("He voted for the
          motion")
 > verb:  bring into existence or make available by vote ("They
          voted aid for the underdeveloped countries in Asia")
 > verb:  express a choice or opinion ("I vote that we all go
          home")
 > verb:  express one's choice or preference by vote ("Vote the
          Democratic ticket")
 > verb:  be guided by in voting ("Vote one's conscience")

Quick definitions from WordNet (voter)

 > noun:  a citizen who has a legal right to vote

Quick definitions from WordNet (ballot)

 > noun:  a document listing the alternatives that is used in
          voting
 > noun:  a choice that is made by voting

 > verb:  vote by ballot ("The voters were balloting in this
          state")