[EM] a question about apportionment

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Mon May 9 00:26:22 PDT 2011

Jameson Quinn wrote:
> How hard it is to vote in each system is an empirical, not a theoretical
> system. The evidence is pretty clear that it is easier for most people
> to rate candidates on an absolute scale - whether numeric or verbal -
> rather than ranking them relative to each other. That is true despite
> the fact that it is illogical, that in some sense it should be easier to
> give a ranked vote which contains less information. But the fact
> remains: people can usually vote faster, with less ballot spoilage, and
> with less self-reported difficulty, under Range as compared to Condorcet.

I must be odd then, as I find ranking easier than rating. When I rate, I
feel like I have to be certain I'm rating them all by a common exact
standard, and that I'm not just being right about the ordering but also
about "by how much": "Do I rate X at 50% or 55%?". In contrast, for
ranking, I just have to know: "I would rather live in a nation with X in
power than with Y in power".

In addition, for Range in particular, if I want to make my vote count, I
have to vote Approval-style. Picking the right approval cutoff requires
access to polls as well as some amount of cleverness. Again, I'm not
completely sure why, but I feel that is something I have to do in Range,
but ballot optimization in Condorcet (burial, that is), is cheating and
bad; perhaps because optimizing well in Range doesn't involve the chance
that a candidate you really didn't want to win will win, whereas that
can happen with burial.