[EM] a question about apportionment

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Sun May 8 22:51:07 PDT 2011

Luckily Condorcet can use both ranking and rating style ballots (because rankings can always be derived from the more complex rating information). If one uses ratings, voting in Condorcet is easier than in Range in the sense that the voter need not care what numeric scale one uses. The first guess is good enough. Ratings A=1 B=2 C=3, A=1 B=2 C=9 and A=1 B=6 C=9 are equal in Condorcet.

It is difficult to say how much a typical voter would spend time and effort to consider strategic aspects when voting. In Range the scale that one uses is important. Ballots A=1 B=2 C=9 and A=1 B=9 C=9 have a very different strategic impact. In Condorcet a typical voter need not care about strategies while in Range a typical voter should consider what the optimal strategy is (unless the Range voter wants to cast a "sincere" vote without any wish to cast a strong strategic vote, and unless strategies would become usable in some Condorcet election).

Sincere voting in Range may thus be easy. Sincere ratings in Condorcet should be as easy or easier. In competitive Range elections every voter should consider what strategy tho choose (and how to rig the vote accordingly) while in Condorcet one may assume that regular voters need not worry about strategies.

Juho