[EM] a question about apportionment

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 9 02:10:56 PDT 2011

I think thee may two different kind of Range elections, competitive and non-competitive. In the non-competitive ones all voters *are*expected* to rate all the candidates sincerely. This kind of voting could take place e.g. in some sports competition. All judges are expected to be neutral. In politics elections are typically competitive. Voters want to do all they can to make their favourites win. In Range stratgic voting is so easy and obvious (although picking the right strategy may be really difficult when there are more than two potential winners) that it may well become a norm not only to cast a normalized vote but to also use approval strategy. Sincere voting could be considered a mistake that voters should avoid. In Condorcet strategic opportunities are quite rare and people could therefore (and because of the "unjustified nature" of burial) well consider strategic voting immoral. Just like dropping two ballots in the ballot box may be considered inappropriate in most elections today (i.e. he person doing so could not proudly brag that she found an efficient strategic way to vote but she better stay silent to avoid being considered an enemy of the otherwise well working society).

Juho