[EM] C//A

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 03:25:52 PDT 2011

On 12.6.2011, at 2.17, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> Another solution is to infer the rankings from range style ballots. (As a retired teacher I find iot easier to
> rate than to rank, anyway.)

Maybe the default ballot formats should also have names or something. A rating based ballot could be such that there is a row for each candidate name, and then there are columns from "9" to "0", and then the voter ticks some marks in the ballot. A ranking based ballot could be such that there is a row for each candidate name, and then there are columns from "1st" to "10th", and then the voter ticks some marks in the ballot. These ballots were however almost similar. What ballot format did you assume? Maybe ballots that have a box where the voter can write a number (rating). Maybe a voting machine that can rearrange the candidates on the screen in the correct ranking order. Maybe a voting machine where the voter pushes buttons (next to the candidate names) one by one. Maybe a white paper where the voter can write the numbers of the ranked candidates in the correct order. My point is just that maybe we should have some definitions for the most common ways to fill a ballot (or use a voting machine).

Juho