[EM] Remember Toby

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Jun 5 18:13:15 PDT 2011

I see this as Approval with a complication - that Jameson calls SODA.
It gets a lot of thought here, including claimed Condorcet
compliance.  I offer what I claim is a true summary of what I would
call smart Approval.  What I see:
     . Candidates each offer draft Approval votes which voters can
know in making their decisions.
     . Vote by Approval rules.
     . If there is no winner, then each candidate gets to vote above
draft once for each ballot that bullet voted for that candidate.
     . If a voter is thinking bullet voting, but wants to avoid the
above - voting also for an unreal write-in will avoid  giving the
candidate a draft vote.

I do not see the claimed compliance, for voters do not get to do
ranking.  I see a couple uses of thoughts that imply ranking - they
are so rare that they look like typos to me.