[EM] Remember Toby

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Jun 5 15:23:05 PDT 2011

I hope that everybody gives careful thought to the three parts of Jameson's letter, (1) the heuristic
plausibility argument for the high degree of Condorcet compliance, (2) the near impossibility of winning
candidates throwing the election through back room deals, and (3) a great call to focus on something
that we can all support.

Just a few random loose ends.

If you delegate your approvals to some candidate, and that candidate approves your most detested
candidate X, automatically everybody he publicly ranked ahead of X gets approved by him as well.  So if
he ranks X high on his list, you should probably do your own approvals by simply approving the
candidate that you would vote for under Plurality as well as everybody you like better.

If the candidates' public rankings are truncated, then they can only approve down to the truncation mark,
but no more.  Under this rule most voters will find that their favorite did not even rank their most despised
candidate X, so they don't have to worry about that.

Kathy was worried that courts might consider Approval in violation of one-person-one-vote requirements.
There are many ways to get around this:

(i)  Interpret the intent of the law as meaning that each voter gets copies of the exact same anonymous
ballot except possibly for randomization of the candidate order to avoid giving any candidate special
advantage from being listed first or last.

(ii) Each voter gets one vote on each question, and for each candidate the question is do you or do you
not approve of this candidate.  A mark is a positive response, while a blank is a negative response.  So
each voter gets exactly one vote per candidate.

(iii) (suggested by Martin Harper ten years ago) Complete the Approval election with the following
transfer of votes, so that in the end each voter's vote is cast to only one candidate in the race:  your vote
is transferred to that candidate who received the greatest approval among the candidates that you
approved of.  This transfer step does not change the Approval winner.

With regard to the problem of "chicken" in the presence of nearly equally matched clones, I suggest that
in the process where the candidates cast the votes delegated to them, they all simultaneously cast their
first delegated approval votes, then their second, etc. until all of them (with votes left to cast) vote the
same twice in a row.  Then their remaing votes must be identical to those two.

It is well known that repeated play tends to yield a satisfactory solution to the games of prisoner's
dilemma and chicken when the players are rational.