[EM] PR for USA or UK

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 12:18:59 PDT 2011

________________________________

From: Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>
To: election-methods at electorama.com
Sent: Sun, 24 July, 2011 23:49:24
Subject: Re: [EM] PR for USA or UK

Hello again.

>Sorry, I mean, I don't believe it is hopeless to try doing what you
>want with a rated ballot. Range does use a rated ballot. Off the top
>of my head I don't have any really great method suggestions here,
>because it seems to me to be extremely difficult to design a method so
>that it maximizes utility. If the method is strategy-proof, it will
>tend to elect the sincere Condorcet winner. If it's not strategy-proof,
>you can't fully trust the information you collect. Something in-between
>seems to be needed, but I would bet nobody will feel very happy with
>whatever is invented.

Yes, range more than some other systems is vulnerable to strategy. The sort of
Range PR that I would use may cause problems computationally, and a version of
it that does a bit of strategy for you is likely to make the problem worse. But
to summarise a possibility - everyone submits their range ballots. Then the
computer calculates what would be the winning set of candidates under these
votes. Then each ballot is looked at again by the computer and it works out the
"optimum" vote for each voter on the basis of what everyone else has done. These
new votes are then "submitted". Obviously everyone's changes at once so the
goalposts move. But they could be recalculated a few times, and it might
approach some form of equilibrium. But I'm not entirely sure at the moment how
you would decide the optimum vote for someone based on the current situation.
I'll think about it though.

What I like about the range ballot here is that it sets out in advance each
voter's preference for whole sets of candidates. It would work on the basis that
how a voter rates a set of candidates is realted to their total score given to
them. So if there are two to be elected then two candidates they give 5 out of
10 to is the same as a 10 and a 0. I would set that out as how the scores are
essentially defined. With ranks I don't know if 1st and 4th is better or worse
than 2nd and 3rd.

>Kevin Venzke

Toby