[EM] Single Contest

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Sun Jul 24 15:38:01 PDT 2011

Jameson Quinn wrote:

> The ranked majority criterion is: if one candidate is top-ranked by a
> majority of voters, that candidate must win.
>
> To me, the natural extension of that to rated systems is: if only one
> candidate is top-rated by any majority of voters, that candidate must win.

That must be the definition Forest is using.  Thanks.  Any "strategic
median" which assigns the MaxGrade if at least 50% of the electorate rated
the candidate at MaxGrade will indeed pass this criterion.

> You are suggesting that we use the ranked majority criterion for rated
> systems. If we do so, you are right that broad classes of rated systems
> (including range, median, and chiastic) can never pass.
>
> But if we use my definition of the criterion, then median systems pass,
> trivially.

You are probably aware the median systems pass a stronger criterion:  If for
some grade X, only one candidate is rated at X or above by any majority of
voters, then that candidate must win.

In other words, it doesn't just have to be "top-rated", it can be any grade.

- Andy