[EM] Single Contest

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 06:38:42 PDT 2011

The ranked majority criterion is: if one candidate is top-ranked by a
majority of voters, that candidate must win.

To me, the natural extension of that to rated systems is: if only one
candidate is top-rated by any majority of voters, that candidate must win.

You are suggesting that we use the ranked majority criterion for rated
systems. If we do so, you are right that broad classes of rated systems
(including range, median, and chiastic) can never pass.

But if we use my definition of the criterion, then median systems pass,
trivially.

JQ